Visual Development Artist / Concept Artist
Jonathanwc@gmail.com * (408) 332-7835
3908 Mars Ct. San Jose, CA 95121
To work as a designer in the animation, game, and film industries creating art that is imaginative, tells a story, and above all else entertains.
Visual Development Artist Intern Sony Computer Entertainment America (September 2014 - March 2015
- Worked closely with art director and game designer on several unreleased video games ranging from heavily stylized to photo-real using traditional drawing skills, 3D modeling, 3D sculpting, photo manipulation, and digital painting.
- Designed characters, environments, and props as well as model packets specifying materials and textures to be handed off to modelers for asset creation.
- Illustrated and designed story moments and mood shots to set the feel and overall inspiration in the early phase of game development.
- Designed VFX concept art describing the look and movement for in-game combat related VFX.
Art Director House of Chai, “Behind my Behind” (June 2014 - August 2014)
- Collaborated with a team of 30 SJSU students to create and finish a 4 minute animated and stop motioned film.
- Oversaw, managed and directed the overall look and feel for the film including color, mood, and design.
- Designed color scripts, style guides, color guides, and set design.
- Provided daily critiques and direction of visual development throughout production.
- worked closely with VisDev team leads to bring the directors vision to fruition.
- Developed Background layouts using a combination of Painting in photoshop, photo manipulation and 3d modeling.
- Worked in a timely manner to complete tight deadlines.
Visual Development Artist Independent Short Film, “Time Flies” (August 2014 - September 2014)
- Developed Character designs, concept art and production art to create an art package that defined the look and feel of the film.
- Brainstormed with story team to refine the story and better understand the characters.
San Jose State University
- Bachelor of Fine Arts: Animation/Illustration (Expected graduation date: Spring 2015)
- Shrunken Head Man “Rare Candy” Gallery and auction for charity. (2013)
- Shrunken Head Man “Nintendo Gallery” Gallery and auction for charity. (2014)
- Umpqua Bank “10,000 Journeys” Gallery and auction for charity. (2014)
SKILLS & INTERESTS
- Proficient in Maya, Photoshop, and Zbrush. Familiar knowledge in After Effects, Flash and Illustrator.
- Strong fundamentals in traditional and digital drawing, painting, light and color theory, and visual storytelling
- Receptive to feedback and responsible within team environment, time management, reliable, personable, collaborative, willingness to learn
References furnished upon request